Friday, September 16, 2011

Providence and Power

Our God is an awesome God!

The last time I left you, I was dressed in red shoes and lipstick in a terrbile thunderstorm and crushed on the inside.  We needed a psychological evaluation and further proof that we owned our home to satisfy the judge.   Brock had placed several calls to different psychologists.  One doctor, Dr. Dahlbeck, in particular was highly recommended, but the first time we called we didn't get to speak with him.  We have a very special friend who is also in the process of adopting and works in a place that deals quite a bit with psychologists.  She called on our behalf and was put right through.  After explaining our situation to him, he said that he would be willing to help us.  So, when we called back, we were put right through.  Our network of friends has been completely amazing!  Dr. Dahlbeck  told us he was willing to conduct evaluation, but the earliest appointment he open was at the end of October and suggested that we call back in the morning to schedule an appointment.  In the meantime, we were still looking. 

The next morning, Brock called me on the way to a meeting in Cape Girardeau to tell me that I had a noon appointment with Dr. Dahlabeck and he would see him at 1:00.  I believe it was Divine Providence.  Just before Brock had called that morning, a patient we will never know, but to whom we will be eternally grateful, called to cancel their 1:00 appointment.  The receptionist had asked Brock to hold a moment while she asked Dr. Dahlbeck a question.  Coming back on the phone, she told him that the doctor was willing to work through lunch to squeeze me into the noon hour.  Twenty-two hours after we were told that we needed to jump through more hoops, we had at least half of requirments in motion. 
Twenty-two hours.  1320 minutes.  It is amazing.

Another small miracle.  God overwhelmed my inadequacies and provided when I didn't even know I needed provision.  Brock called me on my way to my appointment and the conversation went like this:

"Are you there yet, Ashley?"
"Not yet, I got caught at the office, but I'll be there.  I still have eleven minutes."
"Where are you?"
"I'm on 25"
"WHAT?!?"
"Please don't.  You are stressing me out.  I meant to be there by now, but I just didn't get away in time."
"Okay, then I'm going to get off the phone so I don't stress you out further.  Just be careful and hurry"
"I know, I know.  I love you and I'll see you in a bit"
"Love you, too. Bye"

I ALMOST hung up the phone but felt an overwhelming urge to say one more thing...

"Brock?"
"Yeah?"
"Why are you panicking?  I have plenty of time to get to Dexter before noon."
"Ashley, the appointment is in Sikeston."

I knew his office was in the Ferguson Medical Group, but something was said the day before that made me think that the appointment was in Dexter (a ten minute drive) not Sikeston (a twenty minute drive).  My heart skipped a beat at the thought of how close I had come to ruining everything.  I called the doctor's office and let them know that I would be a little late.  Said a quick prayer for a safe trip and drove at least 85 the rest of the way.  I hate speeding....now.  As a teenager, that was a different story, but now that I am oh-so-much wiser  I'm actually one of those nerds who believes that the speed limits are there to keep us safe and I always get caught, but not that day.  Praise the LORD!  I knew I had a dozen stoplights to get through in Sikeston, but, would you believe that all but one of them were green!  I flew into the office and a lone woman was coming up a deserted hallway.  I stopped her and asked where Dr. Dahlbeck's office was and she led me through what felt like a  maze of hallways and told me to go downstairs and to the right.  I thank God that He sent her down that hallway at that exact moment.  I apologized profusely to Dr. Dahlbeck and told him what had happened.  He told me it was completley okay and he was just as shocked as I was that he could get us in the day after we called.

"That just never happens."

Thankfully, Brock's story was far less dramatic and we couldn't be more pleased with Dr. Dahlbeck's help!  He told us that he should have the report done by the beginning of next week and it should be in Russia by Thursday.   We also realized that we needed to be extremely grateful because, apparently, Russian judges ALWAYS want additional paperwork.  The fact that these were the only two things that she needed from us is such an incredible blessing.  Although, evidently, we should have had these evaluations done from the beginning, but that information wasn't passed on to us.  Agencies make mistakes and employees make mistakes and soon-to-be mommies make mistakes.  And God's grace and provision covers it all.

I want to tell you all what an incredible blessing you have been to us!  I have never felt the evidence of God answering prayers so strongly!  We are still trying to finish our 100 for 100 list and we still have some pledges for which we are waiting. God has been so faithful through His people and I know He will continue to provide!

A couple of quick stories that touched my heart before I sign off:

At the end of last month, I was trying to make a mad attempt to hit my Scentsy goal of selling $2,000 so I could get the extra bonus.  With school starting, it was a tight month for most customers.  I called my mom just to see if she wanted to stock up on a few Christmas presents and she ordered some warmers and wax.  This morning she called and said that she had finally had a few minutes to open the Scentsy box and decided that she wanted to keep all the warmers for herself.  "These are Roman's Candles, Ashley."  She wanted to put them all over their small house so that everytime she saw their light of smelled their fragrance, she would be reminded of her grandson. 
Thank you, Mom.

Almost two weeks ago now, I got a card in the mail from a person I have never even met but who had read the blog thanks to a mutual friend's suggestion.  She and her husband had wanted to play a part in helping bring our son home.  They had already sent one 100 for 100 and in this card was another $100 check.  Her note simply said, "We decided that Roman needs his parents way more than we need a couple extra calorie-laden restaurant meals.  Hope this helps a little." 
My heart lept to my throat and I began to tear up.  These precious, precious people sacrificed for our son.  So many people have offered sacrficies of their time, their prayers and their money.  I know that every one of you who have given any amount could have spent that same money on something else.  For some of it may have been a fun date night with your spouse.  For some of you it may have been even more essential.  Our deepest prayer is that God will repay you abundantly for your sacrifices.

"Give, and it will be given to you.  A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over will be poured into your lap" Luke 6.38a

No comments:

Post a Comment